Rome to Calabria – Oct 2012
October 12th to 22nd, 2012
$3500 + Airfare Taxes (approx. $462.76)
Day 1: Friday October 12th
Depart from Pearson International in Toronto for your flight to Fiumicino International in Rome.
Day 2: Saturday October 13th
You will arrive at Fiumicino International Airport and be met by us, Heather Cotie and Angelo Tramonti, your hosts. You will also meet Roberto Carere, a Calabrian native who will serve as our bus driver and tour guide throughout your Italian tour.
We will transfer via charter bus to our 4 star accommodations located right in the heart of Rome near the Trevi Fountain (www.leonardihotels.com/Viminale) . You will have time to unpack, settle into the hotel and explore before meeting for a Q&A session. We will then transfer to dinner at a local restaurant.
Day 3: Sunday October 14th
We will have a typical Italian buffet breakfast at our hotel and will then depart for a guided tour of Rome. You will see the Coliseum, the Spanish Steps, the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain and a few other hidden gems! Lunch and the afternoon will be on your own as you explore this magnificent city.
In the early evening we will set out on a ‘Fabioulous’ cooking class adventure. Chef Fabio will share his culinary secrets to make the classic Italian pastas you love! You will start with a visit to the local market to buy the fresh ingredients of the season. At the end of the lesson you will eat what you have prepared. We will then return to the hotel to finish day three.
(B, D included)
Day 4: Monday October 15th
After breakfast at the hotel, you will have a free day to explore the city on your own! Roberto will be pleased to recommend places you won’t want to miss!! Optional excursions are also available to book through Uxbridge Travel. We will meet for dinner in the early evening, explore Rome by night and then head to the hotel for the end of day 4.
(B, D included)
Day 5: Tuesday October 16th
After breakfast at the hotel we will depart for Naples where we will have a guided tour of the city. After lunch and some exploration on your own we will meet for a pizza making class! You will learn how to make the infamous Pizza Napoletana and take home a certificate to show off your new pizzaola skills.
We will then carry on to Pompei where we will check in to our 4 star acommodationsThe Hotel Palma (www.pompeihotelpalma.com) for a relaxing evening.
(B, D included)
Day 6: Wednesday October 17th
After breakfast at the hotel, we will be led on a guided tour of the excavations at Pompei. This beautiful city was partically destroyed and buried under 4-6 m of ash and pumice in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in AD 79. It was lost for nearly 1700 years before its rediscovery in 1748. Today it is a Unesco World Heritage Site and one of the most popular tourist attractions in Italy.
After lunch on your own, we will visit the Madonna di Pompei Sanctuary.
After a full day of exploring we will be treated to some musical entertainment while we enjoy dinner. We will transfer back to the hotel for the end of day 6.
Day 7: Thursday October 18th
After breakfast at the hotel, we will travel to the Costiera Amalfitana where you will have a guided tour of Amalfi and Positano. You will have many breathtaking views and delicious menus to choose from for your lunch. You will then have time to explore this stunningly beautiful coastal region!
We will then make our way to the hotel for dinner to end day 7.
Day 8: Friday October 19th
After breakfast at the hotel we will travel to Battipaglia where you will tour Café Pareo and learn about their unique oak roasted espresso. After getting your morning cup of java we will head to a dairy farm to learn how the famous Mozzarella Di Bufala is made. Enjoy a lunch made with the best and freshest cheese you will ever taste!
We will then travel to Scalea, a picturesque, little town which takes it’s name from the terraced layout on the hillside. There are medieval structures, characteristic houses built almost on top of each other, Byzantine churches, antique ruins and breathtaking views of the coastline. We will check in to our hotel (www.sanmatteopalacehotel.it) and after a bit of free time we will meet up for dinner in a local restaurant and end day 8.
Day 9: Saturday October 20th
After breakfast at the hotel, we will depart for Reggio Calabria, the largest and oldest city in the region and the second oldest city in Italy. You will have the opportunity to see the Bronze Riace statues, taste Ceasar’s Icecream and walk along the most beautiful kilometer in Italy!
In the late afternoon we will depart for the your accommodations in Cittanova where you can explore the grounds nestled among the olive trees! (www.ulivetoprincipessa.it) You will have time to relax before we depart for an evening of musical entertainment and a local style of dinner.
(B, D included)
Day 10: Sunday October 21st
After breakfast at the hotel, we will depart for our hands-on tour with Sarafino’s family at Olearia San Giorgio. For the past 70 years the Fazari family has taken great care in producing award winning, world renowned olive oil from the more than 100 hectares of olive groves.
Our tour will begin in the groves where you will learn about picking and pruning the olives. After time to stroll through the ancient trees and snap a few rolls of film we will be transported to the olive mill where you will learn about the extraction and bottling of the liquid gold. You will be treated to a tasting of the freshest oil you will ever try!
Our afternoon will be spent touring San Giorgio Morgeto. This beautiful town overlooks the fertile plain of Gioia Tauro. There are many medieval doorways, narrow streets between tall houses, underpasses, tunnels and stairways!
We will meet up for our farewell dinner in a local restaurant.
Day 11: Monday October 22nd
After an early breakfast in the hotel we will depart for our flight home from LaMezia Terme Airport where you will connect through Rome on your way to Toronto.
Terms and Conditions
- Rates include roundtrip airfare, accommodations and inclusions as per the itinerary.
- $300.00 non refundable deposit payable at the time of booking. Balance due 45 days prior to travel.
- Minimum number of bookings required to guarantee departure and airfare.
- Airfare taxes are separate and are subject to change.
- A surcharge of $100.00 is applicable if paying by credit card.
- Cancellation Charges – 45 Days or more prior to departure – $300.00 deposit, Less than 45 days – 100% of total price is non refundable
- Flight schedules and/or flight times may change with or without notice.
- Some itinerary details may be subject to change.
- Minimum number of bookings required to guarantee departure.
- Single supplement of $500.00 will apply for the duration of the trip.
- Liability: Travel arrangements made by Uxbridge Travel Centre are subject to the terms, conditions and tariffs set out by our suppliers. Uxbridge Travel Centre will not assume liability for any refunds, losses, damage, costs or expenses arising out of injury, accident or death, loss of, or damage to, or delay in baggage or other property, delay, inconvenience, upset, disappointment, stress, frustration, or loss of enjoyment or loss of holiday time resulting from:(i) the act or fault or omission by any party other than by the Uxbridge Travel Centre or its agents;
- (ii) mechanical breakdown, government action, weather, strike or any other action beyond its control;
- (iii) being denied access to aircraft due to contravening the airlines conditions of carriage;
- (iv) the traveller missing flight connections or departures or failing to follow instructions of tour representatives.
If you have any questions or would like to book please contact Heather Cotie
firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-970-4451