- 3 cups unbleached or whole wheat flour (or any mixture of the two)
- 1/2 cup Olearia San Giorgio virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup mineral water
- 3/4 to 1 tsp Salina Di Cervia sea salt
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl. (If you use whole wheat, use a little less salt).
- Add oil and mix with a fork or pastry blender, cutting flour/oil lumps apart until mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Stir 1/2 cup water into flour mixture. Dough should be moist enough to shape into 2 large balls, yet dry enough not to stick to your hands. If needed, add more water, a tablespoon at a time, until this consistency is reached.
- After shaping dough into 2 large balls (for the upper and lower crusts), roll with a rolling pin on a floured surface until roughly 1/8″ thick.
- Line pie plate with rolled dough.
- For a lower crust only pie, prick dough with a fork then bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until crust starts to brown.
- For a 2 crust pie, put your filling in and cover with the other half of the dough, seal the edges by putting a little water between them and pressing them together, prick the top with a fork and bake at 400 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until crust starts to brown.