Risotto of Wild Mushrooms
Dried porcini mushrooms, soaked, provide the dominant flavor and can be intensified when adding some of the mushroom soaking water to the stock.
- 2 cups Arborio rice, preferably carnaroli grade
- 7 cups rich vegetable stock – hot
- 1 small sweet onion – peeled and diced
- 1 carrot – peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms – soaked in warm water, reserving liquid
- 1/3 cup Italian parsley
- 1 tomato – peeled and diced salt and freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan and sauté the onion, carrots and soaked mushrooms. Add the rice and gradually add the stock until rice has absorbed the liquid and is cooked – about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and add the tomatoes and parsley for flavor and aroma.
Some freshly grated Parmesan cheese may be added for additional richness.
A wonderful, fruit forward red wine would be an ideal accompaniment to the dish.
(Courtesy of Mark Picone, Mark Picone Culinary Studio)